U bent succesvol uitgelogd.


Insurance for students

When moving out of your parents’ home to go live on your own, it is always a good idea to take a look at your insurance coverage and needs. Even if you have health insurance in your home country, you may still need to take out health insurance in the Netherlands as well. And there are also other kinds of insurance that you would be wise to take out.


In the Netherlands, anyone under the age of 27 is automatically included on their parents’ liability insurance or permanent travel insurance, even if they do not live at home any longer. If you are from another country and want to come and live in the Netherlands, you must take out this and any other insurance yourself. Students you qualify for a discount on Student Insurance

Health insurance is compulsory

As soon as you turn 18, you must take out health insurance for yourself. Health insurance will cover you for all GP costs and some medicine and hospital costs. If you want, you can take out supplementary health insurance to cover things such as dental care and physiotherapy. Health insurance can only be taken out with a health insurer. If you have not taken out health insurance within one month after your 18th birthday, you will be fined and have to pay all your medical bills yourself.

Premium and healthcare allowance

Health insurance will cost roughly €110 a month in premium, plus any premiums for supplementary insurance. If you have a job alongside your studies, you may be entitled to a healthcare allowance. If so, apply for it on the Dutch Tax Administration’s Mijn toeslagen portal.

More income? Report it

Please note that if your income goes up because you are, for example, about to graduate, make sure you report your new income to the Dutch Tax Administration right away. If you don’t, you will have to pay back any allowances in large lump-sum payments later.

Insurance that is good to have but not compulsory

Liability insurance

Liability insurance covers you for accidental loss or damage to other people and their property, such as when you scratch a car with your bike or drop a drink on someone’s laptop.

Home contents insurance

Home contents insurance is smart when you live on your own. It covers your possessions against loss or damage caused by fire, theft, burglary, water and storm. This includes theft and damage cover for your expensive laptop, computer or tablet. 

Travel insurance

If you often go on trips abroad, annual travel insurance is always a good idea. Take out short-term travel insurance if you only go on the occasional holiday abroad. Did you know that a Student Credit Card also includes insurance cover? When your flight is cancelled, for example, or a festival is called off, your Student Credit Card has got you covered. Read more about the Student Credit Card.


Affordable insurance for students

Once you’ve left home, it’s nice to know all your stuff is still insured against fire and theft. Our affordable student insurance gives you this peace of mind.