U bent succesvol uitgelogd.


Step 1: Preparing your tax return

Good to know

Do you have everything you need to complete your tax return? Even if the Dutch Tax and Customs Administration has already filled in part of your tax return, you will still need to check and complete your return. The information you need for this depends on your personal situation. Below are examples of information that many taxpayers will need for their 2023 tax return. If you do not have all the information yet and you need more time, you can request a postponement, but remember that the Tax and Customs Administration may charge interest on the amounts payable.

What you need

  1. Bank account balances

    An overview of your bank and savings accounts, investments, loans and life insurance.

    ABN AMRO’s Annual Statement  is available from 15 February. ABN AMRO has also provided the information contained in this summary to the Tax and Customs Administration. Among other things, you will need this summary for the questions about your wealth in Box 3.

  2. An overview of your mortgage

    In ABN AMRO’s annual mortgage statement, you will find a statement of your outstanding mortgage debt and the interest and other charges you have paid in relation to your home. You will need this information for the questions about your home in Box 1.

  3. The value of your home

    Property values are established each year by the local council according to the Valuation of Immovable Property Act (‘Wet Waardering Onroerende Zaken’, WOZ). In Dutch this official property value is referred to by the name of the act, ‘ The WOZ-waarde ’ (‘WOZ’ value). The local council uses the value on 1 January of the previous year as the basis for this. This date is called the value reference date. This is specified in the municipal taxes statement from your local council. For your 2023 tax return, the figure you need is the ‘WOZ’ value of your home on the value reference date of 1 January 2022 (so not the value on the value reference date of 1 January 2023).

  4. The annual income statement from your employer or pension provider

    You need the 2023 annual salary and/or pension statement(s). These also include the amount in income tax and national insurance contributions deducted from your salary/pension in 2023.

  5. A list with donations to charity

    If you made any donations to one or more officially registered charities in 2023, we advise you to make a list of these donations. Cash donations cannot be deducted. You may only deduct the part of the total amount of your donations that exceeds the threshold of €60 and exceeds 1% of your threshold income (or the threshold income of you and your tax partner combined), up to a maximum of 10% of your total income. These thresholds do not apply only if you made any ‘recurring donations’ (a regular, ongoing donation).

  6. A list of medical expenses

    If you incurred medical expenses in 2023 due to sickness or disability, you may be able to deduct these from your taxable income subject to certain conditions.

  7. An overview of your annuities

    This overview is important if you paid any premiums for an annuity in 2023. You may be able to deduct all or a part of these in Box 1 of the tax return.


Getting a tax postponement

If required, you can request a postponement (extension) for your tax return, as you may not have all the information you need yet or for some other reason cannot file your tax return on time. In principle you may be granted a four-month postponement for filing your 2023 income tax return. You will have to request this postponement from the Tax and Customs Administration before 1 May 2024, however. Just remember that, if a tax assessment is issued with a payable amount after 1 July 2024, the Tax and Customs Administration will charge 7.5% ‘interest’.

The information on our website about submitting your tax return applies to people who are liable for tax in the Netherlands . If you have not received an ‘aangiftebrief’ (notice of obligation to submit a tax return), or do not know whether you need to submit a tax return, check with the Tax and Customs Administration (Belastingdienst).